Around twelve hectares of land were purchased by Hongkong Engineering and Construction Co. in 1931 and construction began in 1933. In 1936, the two main roads on the estate were named – Kadoorie Avenue after Sir Elly Kadoorie and Braga Circuit after J.P Braga.
By the end of 1941, 38 houses had been completed on Kadoorie Hill. The former CLP Head Office was completed in 1940 whilst the adjacent old St. George’s Mansions apartment building received its first tenants in November 1941.
By the end of the decade, the estate comprised 57 houses and 35 apartments. Most of them were occupied by tenants from the corporate, trading and aviation industries, reflecting Hong Kong’s prosperous economy at the time.
Kadoorie Hill has continued to attract wealthy and affluential tenants throughout the years. By 1984, over half of the properties in the area were occupied by major international corporation executives and expatriate individuals.
The former CLP Head Office was proposed as a Grade 1 historic building by the Antiquities Advisory Board in 2009, which was later confirmed in 2018.
In 2017, CLP Group (CLP) and Sino Land Company Limited (Sino Land) announced their collaboration on the CLP’s Head Office Redevelopment Project. With deep respect for this glorious past, the residential project was officially named ST. GEORGE’S MANSIONS in 2019.
THE LEGEND LIVES ON
- 1. For details, please refer to Hong Kong Heritage Project’s official website at https://www.hongkongheritage.org/